Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Great Website that can Teach You Some New Things

I want to mention a great site that I have found recently from watching a video on Youtube. I have recently been interested in start up companies. The one thing that I really didn't know about was how they actually get their funding. I found a video, well a series of videos, that taught me the key points in an easy to understand fashion. I learned quite a bit about the subject of angel investors, venture capitalists, Series funding, initial public offerings (IPO), etc. This led me to this website: www.khanacademy.org.

According to their website, Khan Academy is a not-for-profit that focuses on teaching people through free videos. There are many topics that are covered such as Calculus, Algebra, Biology, Organic Chemistry, Finance, and even Art History. I have only looked at some of the finance related videos but from what I can tell that they are well prepared and they are of high quality.


You can sign up for a free account at their website. They will keep track of some statistical information such as when you logged in, how much time you spent watching the videos,  and which videos you have watched. The website also introduces some game mechanics such as earning badges and energy points. It doesn't look like you can do anything really with these other than to show off to other people who also use the website. It's a good move to actually get people, especially the younger crowd, to use the site. Also it seems that people can volunteer their time to teach others. One can imagine the possibilities of being able to teach/learn something from another persopn who may be half way across the globe.

If you want to learn more about the founder Salman Khan who started this website here is a link:
Link to Salman Khan Talk at TED 2011

This looks like a great resource for students and for older people, such as myself, to learn new things or just as a refresher! Get ready to learn something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment