Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Weight Loss: The Impossible New Year's Resolution?

Well here we are eight days into the new year and I haven't really started to work on a resolution that has been eluding me for years: weight loss. Like most people who make this resolution I have found myself highly motivated towards this goal. Unfortunately, like most people this motivation lasted only a very short time. This has happened to me for the last >5 years. So this year, I am trying to reflect on why this keeps happening and looking for a new approach to lose weight. I am consulting some books and looking at some exercise courses that apparently have helped others. Although I am cautious about the claims of these products and have always been skeptical about their effectiveness.

The first thing I will do is outline the weight loss goal. I am going to be making a SMART goal. For those of you who don't know what this is I'll explain it to you. SMART is an acronym that stands for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely. I believe that if you make this type of goal you will be able to fulfill that goal. I don't know how many times I said, "This new year I'm going lose weight", then do it for a couple weeks and then gradually stop. So time for a new way to set my goal: Lose 20 lbs by exercising with interval training at least 4 times a week, by increasing the amount of healthy foods and reducing portion size of my meals.

I am 210 lbs, 5 ft 10, not the most active person, tend to sit down for long periods of time.

I will give updates about the progress of my weight loss goal. I will outline my exercise plan in the coming posts. I am also planning to try out some work out programs and I will give my initial impressions + review them if I ever finish the program.

I hope that you will also be able to achieve your goals for this coming year.


No comments:

Post a Comment